GlobaLeaks is free, open source software enabling anyone to easily set up and maintain a secure whistleblowing platform
Type of Digital Public Good
- Open content
- Open data
- ✅ Open software
- Open standard
- Open AI model
1. Is it relevant to one of the Sustainable Development Goals?
- 10. Reduced Inequality
Evidence: GlobaLeaks is a whistleblowing technology enabling everywone to report safely and anonymously about wrongdoings encountered during their own life and work experience. The technology has already enabled worldwide more than 4000 organizations to create projects focused on anticorruption, gender based violence, enviromental crimes, war crimes. Please see the attached link that list some of the most valuable use cases and please reach out to get to know more.
Link to Evidence: https://www.globaleaks.org/usecases/
2. Does it use an appropriate open license?
Yes, this project is licensed under the following license(s):
3. Is ownership clearly defined?
Is the ownership of the project and everything that the project produces clearly defined and documented?
If yes - please link to the relevant copyright, trademarks, or ownership documentation for the project.
4. Does the license of libraries/dependencies undermine the openess of the project?
Does this open project have mandatory dependencies (i.e. libraries, hardware) that create more restrictions than the original license?
If yes - are the open source components able to demonstrate independence from the closed component(s) and/or are there functional, open alternatives?
If yes - please describe how the open source components are independent and/or list the open alternatives for the closed component:
5. Is there documentation?
Does some documentation exist of the source code, use cases, and/or functional requirements. For software projects, this should be present as technical documentation that would allow a technical person unfamiliar with the project to launch and run the software. For datasets and data projects, this should be present as documentation that describes all the fields in the set, and provides context on how the data was collected and how it should be interpreted. For content collections, this should indicate any relevant compatible apps, software, hardware required to access the content and any instructions about how to use it.
If yes - please link to the relevant documentation:
6. Is non PII data and/or content accessible?
Does this project collect or use non-personally identifiable information (non-PII) data and/or content?
If yes - is there a mechanism for extracting or importing non-personally identifiable information (non-PII) from the system in a non-proprietary format?
If yes - describe the mechanism for extracting or importing non-personally identifiable information from the system in a non-proprietary format:
Supports a REST API for data access
7. Does the project adhere to privacy and other applicable international and domestic laws?
Has this project taken steps to ensure adherence with relevant privacy, domestic, and international laws? For example, the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) in the European Union or the Supplementary Act A/SA.1/01/10 on Personal Data Protection for the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) (yes/no)
If yes, please list some of relevant laws that the project complies with:
8. Does the project adhere to standards and best practices?
Does this project support standards? (i.e. Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.1 or other standards such as those listed on W3C)
Which standards does this project support (please list)
- The software complies with ISO 37002, specific whistleblowing standard defined in 2021. It as well implement whistleblowing procedures in relation to many national and international laws and in particular in relation to the Directive (EU) 2019/1937; Within its implementation it uses only standard protocols defined by the IETF
- ISO 27001
- ISO 27017
- ISO 27018
Can you point to evidence of your support? (i.e. please link to your validator, open test suite, etc.)
Was this project built and developed according to or in adherence with any design, technical and/or sector best practices or principles? i.e. the Principles for Digital Development?
Which principles and best practices does this project support (please list)
- Full documentation about the principles and best practices used within the project develpment: https://bestpractices.coreinfrastructure.org/en/projects/3816
- Cloud Security Alliance Level 2: https://cloudsecurityalliance.org/star/registry/services/globaleaks/
9. Does the project do no harm by design?
Has this project taken steps to anticipate, prevent and do no harm by design?
On the whole, does this project take steps to ensure that it anticipates, prevents and does no harm by design?
Is there any additional information you would like to share about the mechanisms, processes or policies that this project uses to avoid doing harm by design?
Below are some of the legal features:
- Ready-made questionnaires for compliance law
- Bidirectional anonymous communication (comments/messages)
- Customizable case management workflow (statuses/sub-statuses)
- No logs of IP addresses
Manage conflict of interest in the reporting workflow
9.a. Data Privacy & Security
Does this project collect or store personally identifiable information (PII) data and/or content?
If yes - please list the types of data and/or content collected and/or stored by the project:
If yes - does this project share this data and/or content with third parties?
Please describe the circumstances with which this project shares data and/or content with third parties. Please add links as relevant.
If yes - does the project ensure the privacy, security and integrity of this data and/or content collection and has it taken steps to prevent adverse impacts resulting from its collection, storage and distribution.
Below is a list of the security features:
- Full data encryption of whistleblower reports and recipient communication
- Digital anonymity support with Tor integration
-Built-in HTTPS support with TLS 1.3 standard (SSLabs A+ rating)
-Automatic free digital certificate enrollment (Let’s Encrypt)
- Multiple penetration tests with full public reports
- Conform to industry standards and best practices for application security (OWASP)
Two-Factor authentication (2FA) support compliant with standard TOTP RFC 6238
Integrated network sandboxing with iptables
- Integrated application sandboxing with AppArmor
- Complete protection against automated submissions (spam prevention)
- Subject to continuous peer-review and periodic security audits
- PGP support for encrypted email notifications
- Does not leave traces in browser cache
9.b. Inappropriate & Illegal Content
Does this project collect, store or distribute content?
If yes - what kinds of content does this project, collect, store or distribute? (i.e. childrens books)
If yes - does this project have policies that describe what is considered innappropriate content? (i.e. child sexual abuse materials)
If yes - please link to the relevant policy/guidelines/documentation.
If yes - does this project have policies and processes for detecting and moderating innappropriate/illegal content?
If yes - please describe the policies and processes for detecting, reporting and removing innapropriate/illegal content (Please include the average response time for assessment and/or action. Link to any policies or descriptions of how inappropriate content is handled):
9.c. Protection from harassment
Does this project facilitate interactions with or between users or contributors?
If yes - does the project take steps to address the safety and security of underage users?
If yes - please describe the steps this project takes to address risk or prevent access by underage users:
- - Nominated Community Lead
- - Large set of contributing guidelines: https://github.com/globaleaks/GlobaLeaks/blob/main/CONTRIBUTING.md
- - Quite complete Governance Model compliant with best open source guidelines: https://github.com/globaleaks/GlobaLeaks/blob/main/GOVERNANCE.md
- - Documented best practices adopted by the project: https://bestpractices.coreinfrastructure.org/en/projects/3816
If yes - does the project help users and contributors protect themselves against grief, abuse, and harassment?
If yes - please describe the steps taken to help users protect themselves.
- Strict Code of Conduct: https://github.com/globaleaks/GlobaLeaks/blob/main/CODE_OF_CONDUCT.md
Development & deployment countries
List of countries this project was developed in.
- United States of America
List of countries this project is actively deployed in.